Operation Esperanza: Honduras Hurricane Relief
Honduras has been devastated in back-to-back weeks by Hurricane Eta and Hurricane Iota, causing severe flooding all over the country – including villages served by our partners Humanity & Hope United Foundation and World Compassion Network. A humanitarian crisis is unfolding, as mass evacuations have been necessary in many areas where H&H and WCN staff and volunteers have been working tirelessly to rescue and care for entire communities. They need food, water, medical care, and a safe and dry place to sleep.
That’s where we all come in… God is working despite the life-threatening hardships. People gather in makeshift shelters and they are banding together to help the growing number of evacuees.
Operation Esperanza is a collaborative, multi-phase, long-term response to bring hope to the people of the Sula Valley in Honduras. Our goal through our partners is to not only help people survive, but recover, rebuild, and thrive in the future. Our partners have already invested years in multiple communities, serving the Honduran people and we know God wants to see that continue.
Let’s go through this storm together with our Honduran brothers and sisters, as we lift them up in prayer, and provide ways to lighten their burden!
Three Ways You Can Join Operation Esperanza:
2020 has been a challenging year in so many ways to say the least, but we know God is not surprised. Nor is He worried. In fact, we serve the One that has an endless supply of resources, mercy, hope, and love. Let’s start with Him for guidance, wisdom, and help.
- Pray for the people in and around El Progreso, that they may escape the rising floodwaters.
- Pray for people living at the shelters, that they may experience God’s peace and love through His Word, and the staff and volunteers who care for them.
- Pray for H&H and WCN staff, as they join with emergency personnel, that they all will have wisdom and endurance, and that they will model God’s love and share His hope.
Right now, the most urgent needs are for emergency relief and survival supplies. This is the heart of the first phase of relief and recovery. Through cooperation with our partners, we’ve already been able to help open and run six shelters, where over 400 individuals are being housed and fed. But the need is growing.
You can give online or through the WCC app. Just choose Operation Esperanza from the fund list.
Checks may be mailed to:
Warsaw Community Church
1855 S County Farm Road
Warsaw, Indiana 46580
*Please write “Operation Esperanza” in the memo
We’re doing what we can here to make people aware of the humanitarian crisis developing in Central America and more details about future phases will be shared. But, for now, we're focused on survival and emergency relief and we welcome any organizations or individuals who would like to partner with us. So, please:
- Spread the word. Let others know about the situation and Operation Esperanza.
- Follow us and our partners on social media, and share their posts and stories.
- Watch for updates regularly. Check our websites and ask how you can help. More needs, volunteer opportunities, and trips for rebuilding will be announced in the future.