March Community Outreach Update
Saturday, March 18, 2023
“Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort me and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.” (St. Patrick)
Welcome to the March edition of our Community Outreach Update… There are some great opportunities to jump in and love our neighbors whether you have a bunch of free time, or very little. There are also some great events happening soon that you can participate in or volunteer at to help many of our partners while serving our local community. Together, we can be the hands and feet of Christ. So, check it out, and jump in whenever or wherever you can! If you have any questions, please let our Community Outreach Team know…
EISENHOWER NEEDS & OPPORTUNITIES
As part of our focus on caring for vulnerable children and our partner school, there are some urgent needs at Eisenhower Elementary School.
- Classroom, Lunchroom, and Recess Volunteers: Whether you only have 30 minutes of time or a few hours, your presence and care can go a long way in helping a child succeed while encouraging a teacher or staff member. Spanish speaking volunteers are also needed in various roles. Contact Eisenhower’s Secretary Alisha Eastwood, (574) 269-7440 to sign up or ask questions. NOTE: All volunteers need a current school year background check form submitted for Warsaw Community Schools (find the form here).
- Food Pantry & Clothing Closet Needs: Help keep food on the pantry shelves and cold weather clothing in the closet. To learn more about what’s needed and how to provide items, check out our blog post here.
- Eisenhower Carnival Volunteers: Another participation or volunteer opportunity is at the upcoming Eisenhower School Carnival on Friday, March 24. This is a great way to help the kids have some fun, while raising funds for the school’s programs. Find out more or sign up to help here.
We’re working on some cool things with our friends at Fellowship Missions to help people get back on their feet. Please take a look at some of their needs and opportunities for this month…
- Mentors: Additionally, there is a need for mentors to help teens, young adults, and adults. God created us to be in relationship, and to help provide others in need with wisdom, encouragement, and to love them right where they are at. Being a mentor is just this… walking alongside one that we serve through intentional relationship building.
- Kitchen Help: Whether you want to drop off a meal, you want to help serve a meal, or want to clean up after a meal. This would be a great opportunity for Growth Groups to serve together.
- Trauma Informed and Beyond Training: Take advantage of an incredible opportunity to learn from Dave Lockridge, Founder and CEO of ACE Overcomers and the Center for Resiliency and Trauma Informed Training. Fellowship Missions will host an informational seminar at Warsaw Community Church on April 19 and 20, about biblical and evidence-based principles to help overcome trauma, addiction, and family dysfunction. Get more details and register by April 14.
- Urgent Shelter Supplies Needed: This month, they have an emergency need for large men’s boxer-style underwear, paper towels, and ibuprofen. They keep an up-to-date list on their website so you can check in at any point before buying items.
No experience is needed for any of these opportunities – just a heart to serve, and a willingness to help someone regain their self-worth, and understand their true identity in Christ. Training is provided for certain on-site roles. Sign up to volunteer here.
WORLD COMPASSION NETWORK: RUN FOR HUNGER 5K – Saturday, March 25, 10am
Set a goal, improve your health, and help our community as the 15th Annual World Compassion Network Run/Walk for Hunger 5K is back in Winona Lake. You can participate in person or virtually. All proceeds help support churches, organizations, and programs that fight hunger right here in our community. To donate, find out more, or to sign-up, visit WCN here.
HEARTLINE PREGNANCY CENTER: GATHERING OF HOPE BANQUET – Wed, April 27, 6pm
Heartline’s 11th annual banquet at the Winona Heritage Room will feature keynote speaker Rebekah Hagan. Rebekah will share her testimony of God working in her life to save her pregnancy. The evening will include an update on how you are making a difference in the lives of women, men, and their families through your partnership with Heartline. To find out more, or purchase banquet tickets, visit Heartline Pregnancy Center online.
FAT & SKINNY TIRE BICYCLE FEST: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED – Friday, May 19-21
WCC is excited to be part of the Fat & Skinny Tire Fest in May. It is one of the largest bicycling events in the Midwest and a beneficial event for our community. The festival has a direct impact on our local bicycling and walking trails, greenways, and paths. There are all kinds of great ways to volunteer whether you have any biking experience or not, as we welcome many visitors to our community while helping to improve it. For more details on the event and a full list of volunteer opportunities, check out the festival website.
As a heads up, when we have urgent needs, we often send a quick text message to our Community Outreach Response Team. You can sign up for the text message alerts by texting the word WCCRESPONSE to the number 877-329-2240.
Thank you for making an eternal difference at WCC and in our community!